Thursday, April 5, 2007

I'll change this if I figure out what the point of this post is

It is 5:15, and I have no idea what I'm making for dinner. Last night's dinner was really good & I don't think I can meet those expectations. I'm not up for the pressure.

It is 5:15, and I should be in the kitchen, not on the computer. But the kitchen is a scary mess. Once upon a time, my husband told me that if I cooked, he'd clean. Silly me, I believed him. What was I thinking? In all fairness, this has been one of those weeks where we've both been busy & neither one of us was running at 100%, so we'd clean up a little then decide to come back to it.

Now I have to get back to it. I have no more clean measuring cups (not that I am committed to using them, but they are taking over valuable counter space) My kitchen truly is not large enough to handle dirty dishes. I have about 18 inches of counter space on a good day. If I clean off the island that serves as a kitchen table/crap collector/drop-off zone I can get another 24 inches or so.

EDITOR'S NOTE: THIS WAS A VERY BAD SEGUE I DIDN'T KNOW WHERE I WAS GOING WITH THE POST & MAKING THIS NOTE IS EASIER THAN EDITING THE THE BEGINNING. PLEASE READ ON, YOU'LL LAUGH, I'LL CRY, IT'S BETTER THAN A ROOT CANAL


I'll have to clean & clear every spare inch if I'm going to follow through with my plans to make Kringla for The Girl as an Easter treat. Kringla is a Norwegian soft cookie (normally in the shape of an infinity sign, but this was the pic I found), and she loves it. Since she gave up sweets for Lent, I thought it would be a nice reward, as it is a very rare treat. I've only made it 2 times, though her grandmother will occasionally send it (store bought as it is a major project to make & grandma has enough going on).

A bit of history: HP's family is partially of Norwegian origin (you can't tell by looking at him though), when they emigrated to the US, his great grandfather (a former member of King Olaf's Royal Ski Patrol. I swear, I can't make this stuff up) changed the family name. Seems he thought Sveergard was too hard to spell. (In fact, I'm willing to bet I spelled it wrong) When he changed his last name, he picked something shorter, and translates roughly to "By the Fjord." Sadly, my husband didn't pay much attention to genealogy, he thought his name meant "Buy the Ford" and now we have a "Crapmobile" Contour that has started once in the past 3 months. (ok, I did make up the "buy the Ford" part, but the rest is true, including the dead crapmobile)
Kringla is labor intensive as well as space intensive. Last time I made it, I destroyed the cheap little hand blender that I used. The kids, worried that that could end my Kringla making career, got me a lovely little kitchen-aid hand blender for Christmas. Tragedy averted!


So, I feel that the kitchen-aid is up to the task, the real question is am I?

I'm not sure what this image is, but it came up when I was trying to do an image search for Kringla, does it mean No Kringla?

4 garnishes:

Anonymous,  April 5, 2007 at 9:13 PM  

It's SIRVAAG!

HP

Sarah Louise April 5, 2007 at 9:24 PM  

I can't help but remembering what your dad once told me: FORD = found on the road dead.

I love that symbol!! No Kringla...you're right, this post was very funny and much much better than a root canal.

KitchenKiki April 5, 2007 at 9:46 PM  

Thanks darling. Your great grandfather was right, it is hard to spell.

Check out the Kringla links, they each go to a different site. I'm not sure why the last two didn't get links. I must have missed them on the umpteenth edit.

I may have to make a "No Kringla pin"

Anonymous,  November 26, 2008 at 6:45 PM  

You'll find a nice pic of a Norwegian KRINGLE at http://www.tine.no/page?id=28&key=8422&cat=649
We love to bake kringle here in Norway. I found your blog when searching for such pastry.

Love, Unni E. in Norway

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP