Friday, February 16, 2007

Mystery Box


I did sort of get a mystery Valentine's Day present.
Yesterday when I got home from playing with clay, there was a UPS box in my vestibule.
Addressed to ME! (Note, that is not a picture of my box or my vestibule; I'm too lazy to take a picture & bring it up so I did a Google Image search)

The box was from Macy's, (what fun) and, of course, I opened it right away. Inside was a pair of lovely crystal goblets from my wedding registry.

Well that was sweet. I've been married 2 1/2 years, so it's a little late, but I won't complain.

The enclosed note said "Much Happiness, Martha" I only know one Martha & she was at my wedding. I don't recall what she gave us, but I know I thanked her. So I dug deeper into the box.

The shipping information was from a Martha Ford. I don't believe I know her at all. Sadly, I realized that I must have mistakenly received a gift meant for someone else. Probably a mix-up in looking at the registries. So I called Macy's and spoke with a very nice Customer Service agent named Tamekia. I explained that I didn't think these were meant for me. (I'm quite sure she hadn't received many phone calls like that before) Tamekia said she would call the number that Martha gave and get back to me. When she called back she said that phone number on the records was for a Citi-Bank, and they don't have any employees with that name. Tamekia told me to hold on to the box for a month, while they investigate and if no one claims a missing gift it is mine.

So for now, I do have a Valentine's Day present from a stranger. I'm very sorry that I can't give the correct owner their wedding present. I tried. Hopefully, the mistake will be realized and Martha's best wishes will find their rightful owner. I'm not sure I would feel right about drinking my boxed wine out of someone else's crystal any way.

2 garnishes:

Sarah Louise February 17, 2007 at 10:27 AM  

There's a Cynthia Rylant short story where seeds were delivered by mistake...it's lovely. That's what this reminded me of. I'll try to find that story and send it to you.

KitchenKiki February 17, 2007 at 10:32 AM  

OOOhh seeds. Is it time to go into the garden? We are up to 24 here!

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP