Monday, April 2, 2007

And the snack of the day is....

No dinner tonight, just snacks.

turkey meatballs in a mango-orange-ginger-bourbon sauce. I will say, the bourbon does matter. I used some Bookers that was given to me, but wish I was able to use the FAR superior Maker's Mark instead. Even with the inferior bourbon, the sauce was pretty tasty. A little sweet, a little spicy. Just needed a little on the sour side to be better (along w/ real bourbon) but I am currently out of Tait Farm ginger shrub. And what else did we make?

Hubby-Poo's hummus. Nothing different or unusual here. Just a great blend of acid/spice/base. His hummus is consistently good. Not much I make is consistent, though it is usually good!

Also on the menu: Another HP favorite, spinach dip. His recipe is from the Pensacola Junior League Some Like it South.

And finally, for dessert. I made brownies for grown-ups. They have a raspberry-Chambord icing w/ (hopefully) bittersweet glaze. I was improvising from a recipe for a chocolate mint brownie (that is out of this world). I left them in the fridge for the icing to set and haven't had a chance to taste them yet. I don't want to interrupt the meeting, but may need to before long. Since I was busy making these snacks, I didn't get a chance to eat much.

I was planning to take pictures of some of the spread, but sadly the battery on the digital needed to be charged.

And now for a quick gripe. As I indicated above, I am a huge fan of Maker's Mark Bourbon. I am even a Maker's Mark "Ambassador," spreading the love (of MM) whenever I can. (Any one interested in becoming an ambassador, let me know & I'll get you more info). Anyway, back to the gripe. A friend with a good heart, knows that I am a bourbon drinker, and while he is fully aware of my preference being the kind soul that he was, and in possession of some excess bourbon, he gave me the Bookers. First of all I have to say, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart, yuk. It tastes like corn squeezings that were left in the still a little too long. Secondly, I'll add that, upon review of the Booker's very own website their bourbon is "truly the absolute best." I need to state for the record, that they are big fat liars. Thank You.

2 garnishes:

Sarah Louise April 2, 2007 at 9:06 PM  

Bourbon--a spirit I may not have tried...but impressive that you have a particular brand. Have you hopped over to see Badger? She is a vodka conisseur.

I hate lying websites.

KitchenKiki April 3, 2007 at 12:06 AM  

Maker's Mark is another thing I learned to drink from my dad. He isn't always a good influence. I have not found any other brand that I enjoy as much, and find most barely drinkable.

I have popped over to Badger a couple times. Mostly to lurk, I don't think I've commented.

By the way, the grown-up brownies were quite good. But they were in the kitchen, and 1/2 the people left with out consuming any. HP has to bring them to work tomorrow so I don't eat them all.

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP