Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Wrap You Up in My Love

Ok, so I'm not Madonna. You can't even hear me singing, so I don't see why you need to be snarky about it.

Oh well. I've been on a bit of a wrap kick. I'd almost say I've been on a roll, but like I said they are wraps, so the roll thing doesn't quite compute.

Saturday night was left-over night. Sort of. I had to go out to buy tomatillos so I could make Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, but it was to go onto left over chicken. But, I cooked a big chicken, so I would have left overs for other things.
So, I roasted the tomatillos on the grill, I think about 1 - 1 1/2 lbs, along with a head of garlic & 3 serrano chili's. While that was roasting I chopped about 1/2 cup of cilantro, about the same amount of red onion (ok, maybe a little heavier on the onion) and squoze a lime. (yes, I said "squoze" & I don't care what spell check thinks!) I mixed those in a bowl, added the roasted tomatillos, some of the roasted garlic (3 or 4 heads, who can remember these things) and the serrano after peeling & chopping and ridding them of some of their seeds. (if ya want a little heat, leave more in; less seeds, less heat). I then mushed it all together with my handy stick blender, and poof, I had salsa.

I took some of the aforementioned chicken, warmed it up in the skillet with a little oil. Then mixed the chicken with a little sour cream, and some cheese (ok, just regular kraft "Mexican Shredded" cheese) added some of the salsa. I grabbed a flour tortilla, warmed it slightly on the skillet then filled it with the chick-mix and wrapped it all snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug, and put it in the hot skillet with a little oil and "fried" it closed. I put the done one in a warm oven & made a couple more. Next I put it on a plate, put a little more salsa on top, crumbled some cojita on top threw a salad next to it and poof called it dinner.

Monday's wrap was all together different. I made some of the-best-dip-ever to take over to a neighbor's to watch the Memorial Day parade. (Luckily this year, I didn't sneeze or blink when it passed by, so I was able to see the whole thing). Our parade watching is more about sitting on the porch, talking to neighbors and eating. My dip is goat cheese & cream cheese, whipped together with some herbs then baked and topped with caramelized onions. Yesterday's version also had the bonus of some of Trader Joe's Artichoke Antipasti thrown in for the chunks of artichoke. Quick, easy & way tasty! So for dinner I grilled some eggplant, then I smeared my wrap with leftover dip, added the eggplant and some greens and such. There may have been other things in there, but I did this after having a couple glasses of wine (a slightly fizzed pinot grigio picked up at Trader Joe's also for $4 0r $5, yum) so I'm not sure what else went into the wrap, but it was pretty easy & light and nice for an early summer dinner.

And finally, today's late-mid-day-ish wrap that was thrown together so HP would have something to eat before he went to class, was another flavory bundle of food that included some grilled shrimp, black beans, cheese (yeah, more of that Kraft stuff), some green onions and it was all held together with a yumtastick avocado dressing. The dressing was made with an avocado, about 1/4 cup each mayo, light sour cream & olive oil, a little lemon juice, a splash of tabasco, some of the roasted garlic from the other day, a sprinkling of cumin and a dash of salt. A quite tasty smear if I do say so myself.

So I'll wrap this up & let you off to your own wrapped up yummies.

3 garnishes:

Sarah Louise May 29, 2008 at 8:47 AM  

I'm pretty sure the lyric is "Dress you up" but I'll let it slide, dear cuz. Wraps, yummy!

I'm pretty sure squoze is a word. Besides, most of the words we now use were coined by Shakespeare...

The vw is way too long...

KitchenKiki May 30, 2008 at 9:53 AM  

See, I told you I'm not Madonna. There is another song that I can't remember that has "Wrap it up; I'll take it"
I should have used that one!

Anonymous,  May 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM  

And where are all the pictures of these lovely creations?

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP