Monday, June 16, 2008

Random Things

Happy Day after Father's Day!

A few random things about my Dad.

He is a pretty neat guy.

He can cook.
He has been known to brew his own beer.
He graduated to making his own wine.
His wine has won gold & silver awards at the National AWS Convention.
When I was little I thought he drove a train at one point (he told me he was an Engineer)
He was really doing things that helped our country.
When I was really little, he would go on long trips to Germany and stay for a couple months at a time.
We would record "letters" on cassette tape and send them to him, and he would record them back.
He was always involved in the community.
He took us camping.
One time when we asked where we were going, his repeated answers were "We are going nuts" or "Bananas" We were really going to the Sweetest Place on Earth.
He got choked up at my wedding, even though he was joking all the way there.
He is one of the smartest people I know.
He didn't have the discipline to finish college, so he joined the army.
He met my mom at a church based camp where he knew everyone except 2 women.
My mom always said he flipped a coin to decide which one he would ask out.
He said, "Nawwwwwww" then he would whisper, "It was a manhole cover"
My sister & I used to torture him by removing one sock. Only one.
He put up with us.
He stood by me when my life went to hell.
My niece and nephew call him Opa.
He has a really good head of hair!

2 garnishes:

Anonymous,  June 16, 2008 at 11:26 AM  

A manhole cover....what brilliant comedy.

Sarah Louise June 17, 2008 at 10:57 PM  

You know, I always forget about the no college bit because he has always struck me as one of the smartest men I know too. I remember him when he was making beer...I'm trying to remember if I was of drinking age yet.

I think I told you this recently, how I thought we were moving to live in the clouds when we moved to Germany since he was always flying there, and planes went up in the clouds...

And he does have a good head of hair. It's clear he and my dad are not related by blood.

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP