Saturday, September 20, 2008

Have I told ya I'm going to Italy?

I think I have. In fact, I don't think there is anyone I haven't told!
I'm just a little bit excited...
We start in Venice
We have almost 4 days of wandering along the canals, crossing the little bridges and getting as lost as you can get on an island. We are staying at the Casanova ai Tolentini Bed & Breakfast
I think that is a picture of it, at least it came from their website.
I wanted a local flavor & didn't want to got to a big hotel, so we are trying the B&B. It looks lovely & the owners seemed nice from their email making arrangements to meet us at the bus stop where we come in from the train. They are located in the Dorsoduro region, a little bit away from the high tourist saturation of Piazza San Marco, but close enough to wander over on a a water taxi, gondola, vaporetto or even traverse the many ponti (bridges). We have 2 days on our own before we board the ship, then we have a day & 1/2 in Venice with the family before we set sail. Our plan is to be the experts by then so we can show the other folks around, and wait until we have a group of us to split the gondola ride. The gondola is something we think we should do, but really, is it worth a $120 - $155 for the 2 of us? We'd rather split it among a group. (So it kills the romance, I'd rather spend the money shopping)
Once we set sail, our first port-of-call is Dubrovnick, Croatia.
With its amazing walls surrounding the city and overlooking the sea, the Pearl of the Adriatic will be the first test of how much my feet can stand! This is one of the few stops that we can stay out late; we don't set sail until the next morning.
After a short sail, we find ourselves in Kotor, Montenegro. "A beautiful walled medieval city of twisting, pink-paved streets, markets and architecture reflecting Byzantine to Venetian influences."

Then we leave the Dalmation Coast (I keep asking my husband if we can get a puppy while we are there, but he just rolls his eyes ) and cruise down to Corfu, Greece. I love Greek food and am looking forward to lunch. This looks like a lovely spot, no?

Next stop is Taormina, Sicily the historic resort town on the east coast of Sicily, midway between the towns of Messina and Catania. I think I'll pass on visiting Mt. Etna, but sign me up for the many pottery shops. (don't tell HP!)

Next stop: Capri--should I wear their pants?

4 garnishes:

Sarah Louise September 21, 2008 at 10:42 AM  

didn't know Etna was in Italy--I drive through it every day on the way to work.

Very exciting.

Sarah Louise September 23, 2008 at 8:22 AM  

wait, 150$ for gondola? Yikes! I can't remember how much it was in 1990, but it wasn't that much. Ah, but I still remember the undrinkable $7 "milkshake." I think our gondola was 5 people.

KitchenKiki September 24, 2008 at 10:18 AM  

The Gondola's are between 80 - 100 Euro. (around $150, unless the dollar slides more) We figure we can split it among 3 couples (Steve's Dad & wife-Hal & Elaine, & Elaine's daughter & son-in-law)

KitchenKiki September 24, 2008 at 10:20 AM  

oh, & we have a phrase book just for translating menu items.

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP