Sunday, November 9, 2008

More Promises

I really do promise that there will be more pictures of Italy up soon. I'll even post one today, perhaps a little more Venice?


I got back from Italy with 2 ½ weeks until the Pennsylvania Governor's Awards for the Arts. I have helped with this event since 2004, and this year they decided that it might be nice to pay me for my help. (Cool, eh?) But with that paycheck, comes additional responsibilities, ok, actual responsibilities; I mean as a volunteer, I helped, but really it wasn't my job. Now it is. Anyway, I've been working hard on that, trying to make a good impression, and trying to keep all the ducks that need to be in a row in their row, so that has been consuming much of my time (plus working 3-4 nights a week, plus just trying to get caught up with life) So I promise there will be more, but I will leave you with a couple images.


I loved waking up in Venice. The street where I live is pretty noisy. There is a bar across the street that sometimes gets rowdy at closing, and the street alongside my house is filled with kids that are screaming, playing, yelling at the top of their lungs, fighting or generally making noise if they can stand to be outside. (I'm really not kidding—our house-sitters, who are 20-something laid-back artists couldn't believe how much noise was on our block). So Venice, where we stayed, was lovely and peaceful. We stayed in a small B&B in the Dosoduro district, away from the Grand Canal and the tourist hordes. We took a nap one afternoon, shortly after our arrival, and awoke to an accordion being played while a group of Gondola's slid down the canal behind our room. It was peaceful, and haunting and the most pleasant "alarm clock" I've ever had.


The Osteria just outside of our front door was lovely as well. Just look at this menu! Today we have a zucchini dish. There is a fresh vegetable soup, I had the eggplant parmesan (so good! Unlike any I've ever had!) Though the Penne with tuna & eggplant sounded good as well. HP had the grilled salmon, which was very tasty!


The restaurant was called Osteria ae Cravate. (I guess you could call it a "Tie restaurant!") I liked all the ties hanging form the rafters. But I loved the food! And the owner was really terrific! He spent a long time talking to us and helping us with our Italian. We saw him often the couple days we were there, and he always had a minute to say Hi, even if we were just passing by on our way to our door..


If When we return to Venice, I'd be happy to return to our cozy room above the quiet canal and visit the Osteria downstairs again!

The view from the window, the canal is down below the greenery.

A lovely trip indeed.

ps. all images are directly from the camera. I haven't had time to crop, edit, photoshop, or otherwise alter them. Hope they work for ya!


1 garnishes:

Anonymous,  November 10, 2008 at 9:32 PM  

I love these photos, such a beautiful life in Venice...wish I were there.

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP