Tuesday, March 6, 2007

shhhhhhhhhhh, or get off the flippin phone.

My dear Hubby Poo had morning meetings, and I'm not delving into the wardrobe world of Thomas until after lunch. Well I am at a University (or at least a satellites campus of one).

With a lovely brand new library attached to the lovely brand new Theatre. Sounds like a lovely place to sit & do some work. Maybe send out a resume or two, catch-up on blogs & emails. But

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
there is nothing lovely about the inane yammering of the rude teenager who sat down about 30' away. She has so far hassled her friend about studying, called her boyfriend on the phone about giving blood--and scheduling it around a social agenda, called her mother to repeat the story about blowing the fuse while blow-drying her hair and called a friend to not only repeat both conversations, but also tell her friend about the in depth article in the magazine she is reading about Patrick some-body's new twin boys. McCutie & McCuddly. Are they going for McNuggets later? As if hearing her inane is not bad enough, she also has her phone turned up as loud as possible so I was able to hear that her friend needs to go to the bathroom. Really, I didn't need to know that.

Earlier there were young men obviously discussing classwork and reviewing for a quiz, that didn't bother me a bit. Of course, I didn't hear every detail and they pretty much kept to their focus and left. When did it become OK to talk loudly on a cell phone in the library? When did it become out of fashion for some lovely librarian to come by and give a stern Shhhhh! when people cross the line of conversational and obnoxious? I will admit that my phone is with me (as it usually is) but it is on vibrate and depending on who calls I will either send it to voice mail or answer in hush tones and let the caller know that I am in the library. Other people have spoken on the phone in the library, but I have not heard ANY detail--let alone EVERY detail-- because they have at least had the good sense to use the hush tones that a library usually warrants.

I have other rants about respect for others and cell phone etiquette and other such things, but this is what is annoying me at this instant so this is what you get. I am now going to pack up my computer & see if I can find some place quiet. Like a phone booth.

5 garnishes:

Sarah Louise March 6, 2007 at 10:31 PM  

Real librarians tell patrons to get off the cell phones!!

(Well, even we are not perfect, and I'm not going to jump on them--esp. teens--if they take a short call, but if it becomes a conversation, I tell them they need to go to the vestibule.)

And I so don't understand the whole Mc thing with the Greys Anatomy guy thing. But I don't really care, that much, either.

Ciao!

KitchenKiki March 6, 2007 at 11:28 PM  

There were staff members in the library, though it was definitely a student at the desk. At 18-21 years old, she should be responsible enough to not use the library as her personal phone booth. I really should have said something, but I'm not the one paying to go there.

I was told that this girl, or another very similar, had been kicked out of the theatre during a student performance for the exact same thing.

I think they should give etiquette books with cell phones. With little pictures.

Or maybe the library should go to this website & buy some signs!

Sarah Louise March 7, 2007 at 7:59 AM  

Next time, I would go tell the person at the desk (whose job it is) that you are trying to concentrate.

I think etiquette should be required in junior high and again in hs AND given before you sign a phone contract. Totally!!

KitchenKiki March 7, 2007 at 8:46 AM  

I should have, but she would stop for just long enough for me to think she was done.

Maybe I should print up cell phone etiquette rules and hand them out--circling the violations.

Sarah Louise March 8, 2007 at 10:13 AM  

Or find a phone booth.

Smile--it makes everyone wonder what you're up to. (My cousin told me that once, a long time ago.)

(yes, the doldrums have passed, HURRAH!!) (at least for this month...)

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP