Saturday, April 14, 2007

My first Raku




This is a quick post, yesterday I did my first Raku firing. I was helping one of the Studio Artists, but I had 2 pieces that were made with raku clay and wanted to try. The Pictures don't show the colors & the metallic glow very well, but I thought I'd try. Click any of the pictures for bigger, I'm not sure I ever resized the small cup so it is really big.

A Short Description courtesy of John & Anne Lockett They teach at Stonehall Adult Education Centre in Acocks Green, Birmingham, UK. Visit their website for additional information.

Modern Raku Ware
- The rapid firing and cooling of the traditional Japanese Raku process is arguably the only thing that it has in common with modern raku work. In an attempt to enliven the colours achieved in Raku firing, potters around 1960 began experimenting with glazes and with the placing of the hot pots into piles of leaves, sawdust, straw and other combustible materials (a process known as post-firing reduction). It is this relatively modern firing process which we follow to produce our own range of Raku pots

small cup



"Flower Pot"

10 garnishes:

Sarah Louise April 14, 2007 at 11:06 PM  

Darling, those are beautiful!!

Sarah Louise April 14, 2007 at 11:09 PM  

The bottom picture of the flower pot is my favorite. WOW.

KitchenKiki April 15, 2007 at 7:35 AM  

Thank you! it is amazing what a good glaze can do to a piece.

I made a little mug, it was nothing spectacular, but it was my first mug. The glazing made it look like some little kid got a hold of it & attacked or something. I haven't figured out the low fire glazes. I had a few more that I did, that I thought would be really cool with an aqua & chocolate brown. Except the "chocolate" looks more like baby poo. It is about the color of my first car. (Granny's car)
Oh well, these will get smashed & end up in the bottom of flower pots.

Sarah Louise April 15, 2007 at 11:28 AM  

Elwood? Oh, how I loved that car. I remember thinking (foolishly) that once you were done with it, I'd get it next. Do you remember the woven mats she had on the seats? I bet you can't get those anywhere, but they sure kept the seats cool on a hot summer day.

Remind me again why we live 5 hours apart?????????????? I might call you today.

KitchenKiki April 16, 2007 at 10:03 PM  

I remember the mats. They were gone by the time I got the car. Sorry that Elwood never made it to you :( I was very sad when he crashed. The grille kind of looked like he was in a frown.
I loved that car! Although, I wouldn't be able to afford to keep gas in it at $2.75 a gallon!

It was nice talking to you last night, sorry I was a little blurry. Very long day.

Sarah Louise April 21, 2007 at 1:24 PM  

I wonder what happened to the mats--you don't think they went to the grave?

Morbid--hmm, it must be a librarian stuck inside in a windowless office while its 70!!!!!!!! degrees and sunny outside.

SL

KitchenKiki April 22, 2007 at 8:55 PM  

Did they make it to Silver Spring when your family had the car? I don't think I ever had them.

Sarah Louise April 27, 2007 at 10:44 PM  

That might be the ticket. We had the car for the summer when we came back to the States and lived at Wallenpaupek that while, didn't we?

I'd forgot that part. Which of course explains even more my morbid attachment to such a ugly car. Yes, I am mourning a brown Chevelle. But it was a noble car!!

KitchenKiki April 28, 2007 at 9:16 AM  

It was a noble car, it lived for about 15 years before it earned it's name. Poor car! That is the only car that Granny drove that either of us would know, she got it when I was 3 & you were 1 (I assume she got it new, it was a '72)

I think of it fondly. I kept the rear view mirror for a long time, but Mom got sick of my sh@# in my room that I didn't live in so it made it to the dumpster at some point.

Sarah Louise May 5, 2007 at 9:21 AM  

A new car! I always remember Dad telling me about how Aunt Gertrude's last car had been her first new car, all her other ones had been used.

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP