Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Torture by any other name...

Ya know, there has been a lot of talk about torture lately. Specifically, Waterboarding, I can't figure out why there was a debate: it is cruel & inhumane and definitely torture. But there is another form of torture out there that hasn't been discussed. No congressional hearings, no vocal debates, but I'm sure if it were happening to you, you would agree: TORTURE!
I'm talking about the practice of withholding Girl Scout Cookies.
You try to be a good person and do the right thing.
Back in January a friend sends an innocent enough email, "Hey, my adorable cherub-like daughter is selling some cookies. Would you like to order some from her?"
Of course I would. Who doesn't want to support these girls as they learn about the entrepreneurial spirit. They learn life skills like goal setting, money management, and teamwork. I want to support this American tradition, so I say count me in!
At the end of January, the email I'd hoped for came:

GIRL SCOUT COOKIES ARE IN!

Ok, when do I get mine? Are going to be at the workshop on February 10? I asked, knowing that that would be a day I would need cookies-thinking I was showing great restraint. But no, she had to go out of town. Well when ARE you going to be on this side of town?
"Oh" she says, "I'll just give them to you at our next meeting"
February 26????
I can't believe she is making me wait. She can't be bothered to come into town before that.
About 6 weeks after I ordered them, and almost a month after she said they would be in. So now I'm sitting, waiting. I had to buy some from the brownies in front of the grocery store a last week. I couldn't handle the wait. Sadly I only bought one box. I have a week to go, I only hope I can make it.

2 garnishes:

Sarah Louise February 23, 2008 at 11:57 PM  

yeah, um, I don't have my one box either.

didn't we have some mailing thing going on last year with those?

hugs, your cuz

Anonymous,  February 25, 2008 at 11:31 AM  

last year cookies were sent to me from far & wide. This year I am waiting.
But they are with in reach, tomorrow is the day!

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP